Thursday, July 31, 2008

I can't believe I rode the WICKED!

July 26th Colt and I went to Lagoon for my work. For my Pittsburgh pals it is like Kennywood (oh how I love the Thunderbolt!). For people with no Utah or Pittsburgh affiliation it is an amusement park. I am the liaison to my from my office to a group called Association for Deaf Children (ADC) and they have a program called SYHO (Signing Youth Hang Out) it is a group for Deaf teens. They were taking the teens to Lagoon and needed help that day. I was glad I was able to bring Colt. I had to check in with the teens regularly but there was plenty of time to play. We spent part of the day with the other volunteers and the director of ADC and his brother-in-law. Some of the highlights of the day include stuffing 6 of us into rides meant for 4. The flume ride. 6 of us got in 4 person log. The worker didn't realize until our log didn't move from the weight. On the Ferris wheel there were 6 "seats" but leg room for about 2 or 3 grown ups. That was cozy with 6 in there. On the bumper cars our group was not to be reckoned with. People really just stayed out of our way. I got a wicked bruise from the steering wheel.


Oh and speaking of wicked they have a roller coaster called Wicked. It is intense you start by going straight up and fast and then you go straight down. It looks like a huge bobby pin. the track also corkscrews around and around. We road that single rider and got to skip the line! This picture is of the orckscrew turns. The whole ride is so fast my head felt stuck to the headrest the whole time!


One of the highlights of the day was when Colt went to the bathroom. I know what a great start to a story you aren't sure if you want to read it or not. Anyway he was in the bathroom and a little boy was in a stall changing and there wasn't anyone with him and he was singing. " I can't believe I rode the WIIICKED! The coolest ride eeever! It goes down the hill really fast actually it goes up fast too!" Then he would pause and start singing it again.


When the day was finally over we were exhausted! We gathered the teens and headed back to the Deaf Center where the parents were picking the kids up. Colt and I were on exit away from the Deaf Center when we got a call telling us to turn around and go back to lagoon. It is about 35 minute drive there from the center. Two kids were unaccounted for. We got back to Lagoon and started looking for them. We finally got a call telling us they had been found and we could come back. By the time we got back to the center we were so beat! I took a four and half hour nap that Sunday!

2 comments:

Colt and Maggie said...

You forgot one of my favorite parts of the day...listening to Radio Margaritaville on satalite radio. The live concert from Chicago that night was awesome.

-Colt

Mandyyyyyy said...

That ride sounds fun, I forgot they were building that, we are excited to see you soon!! Oh and HAPPY ONE YEAR!!!