Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The BUZZ on Days of 47

Here in Utah we have a great holiday called Pioneer Day. This commemoration of the Mormon pioneers first entering the Salt Lake Valley on July 24th 1847. The state marks this day with a large rodeo, and an even larger parade.
For me the parade holds a special place in my life in part because my great-grandmother Kate B Carter is responsible for its creation. Kate B Carter was a founding member of the Utah Daughters of the Pioneers and its president for many many years. I have fond memories of going to watch the parade with my parents and the Eltons. We had reserved seats in the shade right in front of the Police Credit Union. I always tried to sit as close to the green line that ran the length of the parade route. The green line was there to remind we children to keep our toes away from the police motorcycles that patrolled the parade as well as performed. It was always fun to hear Dale and my dad talk about the people they knew in the parade and have the governor say hello to us.
Flash forward 20 years and I am living in Salt Lake City with my wife Maggie on the 24th of July. We have made no plans as to what we are going to do. The previous Sunday though I told Dale Elton I wanted to go the parade. Dale then told me I hope to high heaven you do get hired by the Salt Lake City Police Department so you have to work that @#$% parade!" I was then told what a pain in the butt the parade would be to me once I entered law enforcement. On the morning of the 24th I woke up and decided I was going to the parade, it might after all be the last time I enjoy it, if what Dale said was true. I then dragged Maggie to the parade in our 24th of July T-Shirts. We staked out a spot with a blanket(the only thing we brought by way of parade necessities ie no water, extra sunscreen, etc) that was just a few yards from where I watched the parade as a child. I sat with anticipation waiting for the Days of 47 magic to begin.
Maggie and I watched the parade and we both had a great time discussing our favorite floats, our least favorite, and applauding for our elected officials(or keeping our arms crossed and saying nothing for others). My favorite float depicted the Utah state bird(the California Gull) having a BBQ with crickets being the main item on the menu. We also got to cheer really loudly for my high schools marching band. GO PANTHERS!!!

As we were walking back to our car filled with pioneering spirit through Liberty Park I felt a prick on the underside of my right big toe...then it got worse...and worse. In seconds it was really painful and I began to yell OUCH!! We bent to to see that bee had flown under my big toe, between my sandal, and stung me. It still had its stinger lodged in my foot when we pulled it free. I then had to walk back to car with throbbing pain in my foot. I seemed to marvel the rest of the day at the irony of having my pioneer spirit zapped away by the very symbol of the "Beehive State."
We finished out the night by eating Costco pizza and watching a movie with some friends. I tried to get them to watch a western in hopes of renewing my wagon train enthusiasm, but we watched something else instead.
I also wonder if Dale had some how gotten word to the bees that I needed to have my zeal for the parade relaxed?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maggie!! I randomly found your blog! How are you?!?

Britta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britta said...

I feel for you Colt. I got stung by a stupid hornet (I'm still mad about it) the other day and man it hurt! It ruined my whole afternoon. Stupid hornet...