Friday, July 18, 2008

CSI:Salt Lake City




This has been a pretty exciting week for me. All week long at POST we have been studying crime scenes. The classes were taught by Captain Kenny Payne of the Davis County Sheriff's Office. Monday we started by looking at a lot of blood splatter photos and learning to read what the blood splatter could tell us about the crime. We also learned the rules of evidence gathering and how to read a crime scene and what to look for. We went through the OJ Simpson trial and looked at all of the evidence there from the crime scene to see what the story would be. We also saw a lot of photos that you don't get to see on TV. After looking at the all of the evidence...OJ did it, just in case you had any doubts. While this was interesting what was really cool was that during our break I went up to Captain Payne and asked him if he knew my father. (For those of you who do not know my father was a Davis County Sheriff's Deputy for a number of years before he passed away when I five years old.) When I asked Captain Payne he told me that he knew my father very well, that they in fact had started with Sheriff's Office at the same time. He told me a couple of stories about my dad, and it really made my day.



As the rest of the week rolled on we continued to learn more about mangaging a crime scene, gathering evidence, and looking at famous cases(Jonbenet Ramsey...the mother did it.) The class was one of the best ones I have yet had at the academy, and I was bummed out that it was coming to close on Thursday. On the final day of class we learned about fingerprints, and then collected fingerprints. Afterwards we went to a staged crime scene complete with plastic dead guy, gun, drugs and blood splatter. We had to come up with a suspect, theory of the crime, and a motive. I had to just keep asking myself what would Briscoe(Law and Order), Stabler(Law and Order:SVU), Logan(Law and Order), Goren(Law and Order:CI), or even Monk(Monk...duh?) do? This was a lot of fun to get to do a practical exercise of a crime scene. The most interesting thing that happened that night however had nothing to do with our staged murder, but with my dad. Capt. Payne came to class with a photo of the 1973 Davis County Sheriffs Department with my dad in it for me, and I learned that Captain Payne was the photographer at my dad's wedding to his second wife(not my mom), and he still had the wedding album which he also gave me. So I left that night with two pieces of my history about my father. It was a pretty cool experience.









0 comments: