Friday, April 10, 2009

Pokes

This conversation took place on the drive to St George last night as Maggie was playing on her phone, names have been changed to protect the innocent.


C: Mary never became my friend on facebook, so I couldn't poke her.

M:I don't like the way that sounds

C: Its okay you know Mary. We were going to poke each other because we have no idea what that function means.

M: Quaid just poked actually

C: and see thats okay because he's gay.

M:  I was just poked by a gay man...and I have no idea what it means.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I don't understand poking. If someone want to talk to me, they should send me a message, right? And the poke wars back and forth? I don't understand those either...

Britta said...

One thing I hate about Facebook is all the really annoying stuff it allows people to participate in - but it obviously doesn't prevent me from checking in every day.

I guess you could say "poking" brought about a funny post at least...

Maiken said...

The poking makes sense, but as Britta said it's feeding on people's desire to interact at the lowest level possible. I had the hardest time trying to explain the poke feature to an Italian friend. I could have flown over and showed him in one second what took me days to explain in e-mails.