Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In Other News

This past week was for the most part relatively uneventful. I actually had three nights off from class, but Maggie had to work on two out of those three nights so I finished the final season of Six Feet Under on DVD, and I have to say that its series finale was possibly the best I have ever seen. I also managed to finish season one of the Sopranos on DVD. I am a huge fan of mob movies. The Godfather really can teach you some of the most important lessons of life (my wife and I had our first dance as a married couple to the Godfather Waltz. How freaking cool is my wife? Pretty cool I know.) and Goodfellows? Fa get about it! I started the Sopranos before I went on my mission during the first season's run on HBO, but when I came home it was on its third season and I was too far behind to catch up. This was one sacrifice that I placed on the mission altar that I have now taken back thanks to the miracle of DVD, and the large collection at the Salt Lake City Public Library.

"So there's no frigin ziti."



"Six Feet Under RIP 2001-2005"

Friday night we went to dinner with our friends Liz and Robert at Maggie's former stomping ground the Old Spaghetti Factory. She was really excited to see the changes including new Italian soda glasses, menus in plastic (not just paper ones covered in dried spaghetti sauce...very la ti da), and former specials now as regular entree options. I had crab stuffed ravioli in a creamy pesto sauce. Maggie had mushroom and mizithra. We then tried to go see Quantum of Solace, but would be unable to get in a show until well after ten. Instead we went back to our place to watch a film. It was Robert's birthday so he got to choose (this is a good thing, because it meant I was assured to not have to watch anything where Meg Ryan or Reese Witherspoon falls in love.) He selected Open Range (Kevin Costner should be allowed to make two types of movies westerns and baseball, and that's it). I am a big fan of the western genre so this was more than an acceptable choice. Maggie ,who is not the biggest western fan in the world, even enjoyed the movie. In her defense most of the western I have exposed her to are the Man With No Name series, and other Clint Eastwood or Sergio Leone films that could be considered an acquired taste. She did love Lonesome Dove, but how could you not?

Saturday I went to scenarios in the morning and I am happy to report I did not get shot. I then went to a shotgun familiarization course in the afternoon. This was a lot of fun. I have always liked shooting shotguns more than any other firearm, and after shooting some of the triple-ought buck shot and big slugs I made the decision that I want to find a way to carry my shot gun on my duty belt. That night we went to the Plothow's for dinner. We picked up baked beans from Sugarhouse BBQ and Apple Beer from Costco as our contributions to the last BBQ of the season. Brad cooked up some awesome burgers, and Steph made a fantastic pumpkin pie. We watched Get Smart, which I really liked. I was worried because I loved the old TV show on Nick at Night, and this movie got such terrible reviews. I thought it was funny, and Steve Carell was a great Max Smart.

Sunday we went to church, and came home so I could watch the Bears lose to Green Bay, even with Kyle Orton behind center (it was so much easier when I could overlook poor defensive play and the lack of solid running game and blame everything on Rex Grossman). We had a pizza and watched one of my favorite Mark Wahlberg movies, and went to bed. The upcoming should prove to be exciting with my having courses on building clearing at a middle school with Simmunition this could result in welts and interesting stories. More on that in my posting, or the posting after that depending on if I get inspired to write some more odd ramblings.

5 comments:

Kari said...

I LOVED Six Feet Under, and Sopranos. I was very, very sad when they both ended. I'm actually thinking about ending my HBO subscription because I don't watch any of their new shows. I had such a good run with them, SFU, Sop., Sex in the City, Carnival, Curb your Enthusiasm. HBO knows how to make a good show.

Britta said...

I'm sorry, you watched the Bears what? Get DESTROYED by the Packers! Sorry, my friend, but that was just sad for your little team. So sad. See you at Thanksgiving! ;)

Janey said...

I just have to say that Sugar House BBQ is one of my husband and I's favorite places. We'd go there quite often when we lived in SL. Their beans...Mmmm...

Tom said...

Colt - Britta just turned me onto your blog and noticed your lament on the Bears... What was that final score again??? Oh yeah, 37-3... sweet! That's makes the sting go away just a bit for when I compromised my values by starting Mr. Orton on my fantasy team the day he went down with his injury. I dropped him so fast, and I'm not looking back. Never trust a Bears QB - and never bet on the Bears to beat the Packers, even sans Favre!

Looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving!

Colt and Maggie said...

As a Bears fan we haven't trusted a QB since Sid Luckman. We love Jim McMahon, but never trusted him. Its all about defense and running in Chicago, and right now we are lacking in at least one of those categories.

-Colt