Monday, November 24, 2008

A Funny Thing happened on the Way to the Wood Shop

I had my practical scenarios on building clearing. Building clearing is when police enter a building to ensure that no one is inside. This could happen because an alarm goes off, or someone notices a broken window and wants the building to be secure before entering. I can not disclose any details of the scenarios for fear that a cadet who has not yet gone through this portion of the academy will read it and have an advantage. I will just tell you some non-specifics of the evenings.
First off you get shot at during these scenarios with something called Simunition. Simunition is a modified 9mm cartridge that is fired out of modified Glock 17. The round recoils and fires much the same as a normal lethal round would. It explodes on its target with a water-soluble detergent(so your clothes don't get messed up by paint) tip. They hurt and leave red welts on your body that make your wife want to mother your wounds, and you to say things like "It ain't nuthin babe, just leave it alone." This type of training has several benefits. It creates stress and allows you to see how your body will react under stress, it creates a painful memory of how you screwed up and not to do that again, it also allows you to experience a gun fight with out a trip to the ER or writing a long report. We did our training at Joel P Jensen Middle School in rooms like the wood shop; that room just sounds scary doesn't it?




Simunition Gun looks real, only blue

Simuntion round. The pink stuff is the soap. Brass stuff is the loud stuff.



Friday I had both work and school off. I finished my Christmas shopping for Maggie and most everyone else on my list. I had to go the Library to return season one of the Sopranos and check if season two had arrived (it had not). I got there before it opened so I went to kill time at Barnes and Noble.

I made several small gift purchases there and as I was leaving noticed three ladies with a table of gift wrap. They were volunteering for a local animal advocacy group to wrap your presents for a donation. I hate wrapping and further more use enough paper to deforest Guam when I attempt conceal holiday gifts, so this was a good deal. One problem, I am extremely picky about the paper that I choose to put under my tree. It needs to shiny (preferably foil) so that the light reflected from the tree lights is maximized to fullest degree. This enhances the holiday spirit for all those observe our wonderful Costco tree that will not be allowed to be erected or lit until after Thanksgiving. I told the ladies I would love to let them do one of my most hated holiday chores, but I thought there paper was ugly, and explained my Yule Tide Light Reflection Theory (Shiny Paper X Tiny Lights squared = Holiday Enjoyment or S(T2)=H). They laughed and thought I was cute and charming as many middle aged charity involved women do. I went about my shopping, but then I got an idea! An awful idea! The Colt got a WONDERFUL AWFUL IDEA! I went to purchase my own shiny paper and then would take all of my gifts to be wrapped for the cost of a donation. The volunteers were extremely helpful and asked many questions about Sparky, why I was giving certain things to certain people etc. I am now done with my shopping and wrapping before Thanksgiving!
That night Maggie and I got SugarHouse BBQ and watched one of my favorite movies that Maggie had never seen the Maltese Falcon. Saturday Maggie worked a few hours and attended some BYU vampire movie with bad lighting (Twilight). I went to class for more scenarios one of which was really funny, but I can't put it in writing so please ask me about sometime. That night we went to see Westminster's production of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." I have mentioned before that I am a big Steven Sondheim fan; which is as big a fan as I am of musical theatre...which isn't much. I decided however that Sondheim is more light opera than Broadway musical theatre and therefore more a kin to Gilbert and Sullivan (which somehow makes me like it more). The production was very well done. We both really enjoyed it. The other good news is of course the result of the Holy War. Utah won and is going to a BCS bowl.

Comedy Tonight!



Sunday we went to church I had to stay for Elder's Quorum meetings. I then went home and watched football. The Bears won against one of the worst teams in the NFL so that was good as well. We then headed up to Elton's for Sunday dinner. Which was very entertaining complete with a fashion show and my learning of the existence of Hobbit Town.

4 comments:

Kevin and SueAnn said...

Hobbit town is crazy, don't go there!

jaesi said...

I was unaware that Guam had forrests?

And guess what....my Costco tree is is glowing in my family room as I type! :)

Taylor said...

1) Middle-aged charity ladies only like you cause they like all "special children"
2) You are the most eccentric wierdo I know.
3) I hope you never get shot cause you are the biggest baby I know.

Mandyyyyyy said...

Where is hobbit town and how do I procure indentured hobbit servants to clean my house and dance for my amusement on their stubby hobbit legs while singing.. I am willing to pay them with fake money and chocolate

Long live the aquabats