Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thoughts on Flogging Molly

Friday night Maggie and I went to see Flogging Molly play at The Venue here in Salt Lake. We got in as guests of the band because one of my very first best friends from Kindergarten works for the band. I have not seen this friend in at least 20 years. I found him on facebook and we started to chat one day. I told him that I noticed in his status recently he saw Nathan Maxwell ,the bass player for Flogging Molly, solo act. I told him that Maggie and I also saw him perform. He then casually mentions "I work for his other band." I went on to tell him that Flogging Molly is easily one of my favorite bands, and is always in place to be my second favorite band of all time(second place being the most coveted, because The Beatles are number one. There is no way to best them). He offered to get me into the show for free...I accepted. Here are some thoughts and favorite moments.
-Story: Never judge a Zoobie by its cover. A Zoobie for all those who don't know is uber Mormon Utah County type. Maggie and I spotted this Zoobie looking couple at the concert, except he was wearing a Bouncing Souls t-shirt (one of Maggie's favorite bands). We figured they were here to chaperon a kid or something, and we had to investigate a Zoobie who was wearing a Bouncing Souls t-shirt. We talked with them before the show discovered they were from Orem, and that she got patches from every show because she was making a quilt. Once Flogging Molly started this couple that had escaped across Point of the Mountain for the evening went nuts. They were both in the most intense part of the mosh pit. He stripped his shirt to reveal a very intricate tattoo set. He was getting in a fight with security, and his wife shoved the guard to rescue him from thrown out. This taught me two things 1)Never assume someone is a Zoobie by their cover 2)You can still party hard after having kids...also if you two happen to stumble across this you are awesome and we want to be friends.
-Observation: If you have any stress a mosh pit is better than anything to get rid of it.
-Moment: Watching the group obviously from BYU looking shocked that someone would drop an "F-Bomb" on stage.
-Observation: DO NOT WEAR THE T-SHIRT OF THE BAND YOU ARE GOING TO SEE...don't be that guy, c'mon.
-Observation: Getting hit in the mouth, face, head, rest of body does not hurt if the music is loud enough
-Moment/Observation: I always love watching someone fall in a mosh pit, and then seeing the group stop to help the person up. Seeing compassion in a sea of seeming rage show to me that mosh pits represent the best in humanity. Its tribal.
-Moment: Maggie getting hit on by the cute 16 year old girl.
-Observation: Being soaked in sweat(yours and others peoples) is a pretty awesome feeling.
-Moment: The really old roadie with oxygen tank partying in the middle of the dance floor...rock on brotha.
-Observation: Sprite is the perfect post concert beverage(and I never drink Sprite other wise)
-Observation: Make a friend with me, you make a friend for life, and bonds formed over G.I. Joes, Ninja Turtles, Bravestar, and the Karate Kid are stronger than you could imagine.

4 comments:

Jodie Smith said...

I love your observations and I am delighted you and Anthony hooked up. He and Josh were always my favorites of your grade school friends. Also, I LOVE that you are a concert goer. I just never understood people who didn't get the utter joy of being at a concert! And obviously you can act like a fool after you have kids. Duh!

Jules AF said...

Quilting haha

Brooke said...

Nothing hurts if the music is loud enough. This is why I'm always lobbing for dentists to pipe The Who into their offices. (No luck so far.)

Britta said...

Tom and I saw Cake at the worst venue imaginable. A small, concrete room that had been taken over by Mountain Dew and some video game system as promo stuff during the Olympics. The stage was tall enough that I could see the band - but just barely. The guy next to me had some serious b.o. and kept bumping in to me (although Tom did his best to block the blows.) It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.