Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Good Thing About Ipods

On Maggie and I's first date one of the most cherished memories I have was her inviting me up to apartment at the end of the first 8 hours of our date (it was a grand total of 12 hours) to look at her CD Collection and talk music. She had a wide range of music from hard core punk to indie and Billie Holiday, this impressed. Sadly, once both of us were removed from the stores that were so formative to our musical taste (Maggie moved away from her Pittsburgh store and mine was shut down by the man...damn the man) our playlists grew stale. I had work harder to find stuff I liked and then introduce it to her. This is a tale of what happened.

I purchased the new Arcade Fire album "The Suburbs" and was enthralled with it. I left it in Maggie's car for her to listen to. When I asked her what she thought she told me "It's kinda boring they all sound the same." I calmly screamed "HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?" In her car, two weeks later, I put the EELS album Hombre Lobo on. As we moved along I-15 on our way to meet the Schroeders for dinner the first song played twice, the CD player was set to Repeat. Maggie had been listening to the same Arcade Fire song on repeat for two weeks. This explained her apathy.

This story would be funny enough if it ended there, but it didn't. Maggie decided to give more than one song on the Arcade Fire album an ear. At some point during her more in depth listening of "The Suburbs" I borrowed Maggie's car and put in the EELs' album End Times. Maggie had no knowledge of my doing this and could not get over how much Arcade Fire sounded like the EELs. At one point she was convinced they had invited EELs front man Mark "E" Everett in for a compilation song.

This is a strong argument for both Ipods and getting music for yourself, not your husband.

6 comments:

jaesi said...

what are ipods? I know of no such invention....
(back to wheat grinding)...

Britta said...

That is definitely something I would do. Like sitting there staring at Maggie's hair, thinking several times it looked different, but not saying anything until Tom complimented her, even though she'd told me she was getting her hair done. The brain - it has too much crap stuffed in there to be logic about things.

Janey said...

How fun that she gets to have you find music for her. Whenever I need some new music I think about asking you--but I never do. I hope you wouldn't mind if I ever did.

Brooke said...

Stuck on repeat! This reminds me of the time my sister-in-law, as a joke, sent me a mix CD with the song "Good Morning Sunshine" 25 times in a row.

She later did the same thing again, but with William Shatner's version of "Rocketman." Arrrgh.

Tom said...

I read this post while listening to End Times... it's pretty heavy listening music, especially for driving. I'm keeping that one out of my car. Now I need to go back and listen to some Arcade Fire for comparison.

And, btw, I also miss the local music store but feel they've gone the way of the CD. Don't you feel like the internet has kind of taken over for the search of music? Websites, podcasts, word of "mouth" via FB, etc.?

Colt said...

I do feel like local CD stores are now useless, but there is something about actually having a place to gather together with other people in person to discuss music. It is also a lot harder for me to find new and cool stuff now, versus when I could just go my CD store and "my guy" knew what I wanted.